Remember me

Code of Practice

Auckland International College has agreed to observe and be bound by the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (the Code) administered by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). If students have concerns about their treatment by a New Zealand educational provider or agent of a provider they should follow guidelines given on the NZQA page of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Legislation website

Translations of the Code in various languages are published by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority and can be accessed via the New Zealand Qualifications Authority Website 



What is the Code?
The Code is a document that prescribes the required outcomes education providers and their agents need to deliver for their international students.The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only, and not to academic standards.

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights of employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at 

Eligiblity for Health Services 
Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand.  If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment.  Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available on their website at 

Accident Insurance
The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.  Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at 

Medical & Travel Insurance 
International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.  

Who does the Code apply to?
The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with international students enrolled. The Code is mandatory to these providers and must be signed by them.

What is an “international student”?
An “international student” is a foreign student studying in New Zealand.

How can I get a copy of the Code?
You can download a copy of the Code from the New Zealand Legislation website at

How do I know if an education provider has signed the Code?
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority maintains a register of all signatories to the Code. This is available online from If the education provider that you are seeking to enrol with is not a signatory to the Code you will not be able to study at that institution.

What if I have questions about the Code?
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) is the administrator of the Code. If you have any inquiries about the Code, you can email NZQA through their website:

What if something goes wrong?
If you have concerns about your treatment by your education provider or by an agent of the provider, the first thing you must do is contact the principal, the international student director, or another person who has been identified to you as someone that you can approach about complaints at your institution. The Code requires all institutions to have fair and equitable internal grievance procedures for students, and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further.
If your concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedures, you can contact the International Education Appeal Authority (IEAA).

What is the IEAA?
The IEAA is an independent body established to deal with complaints from international students about pastoral care aspects of advice and services received from their education provider or the provider’s agents. The IEAA enforces the standards in the Code of Practice.

How can I contact the IEAA?

You can write to the IEAA at:

International Education Appeal Authority
Tribunals Unit
Private Bag 32-001
Panama Street
Wellington 6146
International Education Appeal Authority
Tribunals Unit
Level 1, 86 Customhouse Quay
Wellington 6011
P  64 4 462 6660
F  64 4 462 6686
E  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

What will the IEAA do?
The purpose of the IEAA is to adjudicate on complaints from international students. The IEAA will investigate complaints and determine if there has been a breach of the Code. The IEAA has the power to impose sanctions on education providers who have committed a breach of the Code that is not a serious breach. These sanctions include an order for restitution, publication of the breach, and/or requiring that remedial action be undertaken.
The IEAA will refer complaints that are not about pastoral care to another regulatory body if appropriate.
The education provider will be given a reasonable time to remedy the breach. If the breach is not remedied within that time, the IEAA may refer the complaint to the International Education Review Panel (the Review Panel).
The IEAA can determine if it considers that a breach of the Code is a serious breach. If the breach is a serious breach, the IEAA will refer the complaint to the Review Panel.